FAQ – General Information
From the viewpoint of the customer/renter
- Simply follow the instructions on your Rental Agreement, which either state for you to return the item to the pick up location, or be present for the Vendor/Owner to pick up the rental. The Vendor/Owner will initiate the app process of closing out the rental transaction.
- Once the Vendor/Owner has finalized any additional charges, you will receive a Final Rental Agreement which you must approve in order for the contract to end. No new charges will be levied on you without your expressed consent through this Final Rental Agreement close out process.
From the viewpoint of the Vendor/Owner, follow these steps to complete the rental transaction and end the agreement.
- Pick up or receive your rental item and make sure every piece/part is accounted for and that there is no damage beyond wear and tear. After closing the contract, you will not get another chance to clear up any claims with the customer through the app.
- Select the Reservation from your Reservation Module. Scroll down to select the button “End Rental”
- See the screenshot below. If everything went well and there are no additional charges, select “Close Out No Changes” and the Rental Agreement will be ended with no additional charges to the Customer/Renter.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement for your approval. Select to approve it.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement to the Customer/Renter which she must approve in order for the contract to end.
- If the rental item was returned late and you would like to assess late fees at the same rate as the per day rental, you may do so by adjusting the dates in the close out form.
- If you must apply delivery, cleaning, or other charges not included in the rental fee, you may add those in the Manual Adjustment field of the close out form.
- If you have assessed damages that you wish to charge the customer/renter for, you have two choices as to how to do that. Follow this link for an in depth explanation.
- Finally, select “Update charges” and the Final Rental Agreement, which contains a final tally of all previous and new charges are displayed to you for your approval. Select to approve these charges.
- The Customer/Renter then receives the same tally and also must approve them in order for charges to be run. Any additional charges are shown against the deposit and any balance of deposit funds are returned back to the Customer/Renter. Once both parties have agreed to the Final Rental Agreement, the contract has ended.
- This Tutorial also describes how to end your rental contract.
If you are attempting to start a rental and hand over the rental item, and the renter received the failure message after accepting the Rental Agreement, and both parties still wish to move forward with the rental, you can cancel the problematic reservation and create a new same-day reservation on the spot:
1. The Owner should cancel the reservation by going into the Reservation Module, select the reservation, and scroll down to select “Cancel”. There is no penalty when the Owner cancels.
2. The Renter can submit another reservation request for today’s date and a time 2 hours ahead.
3. The Owner can approve the reservation and start the rental at any time (even if the reservation is for 2 hours into the future).
4. If you are attempting this process past 4:00 PM local time, ParTAG will not allow the same day reservation request to be made (because normally asking for a same day rental after 4 PM does not give the Owner enough time to fulfill the request). The work around is for both the Owner and Renter to set their device clocks back before 4:00 PM, which will allow the reservation process to proceed.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Be assured that the next upgrade to ParTAG will allow users to update the credit card previously submitted.
If you are attempting to cancel a reservation and you receive a failure message, you can contact the Owner by text, email, or phone, to cancel the reservation for you.
I wasn’t able to create a reservation request. The error pop up stated that I need to verify my phone number.
ParTAG requires that members have a verified phone number on file, for safety and security purposes. You can verify your phone number by going to Settings> Account and selecting your phone number. You will be prompted to verify if with an OTP code that will be sent to your phone. After your phone number is verified, you should see the “verified” checked shield icon by this parameter.
Assuming the incident has passed and the injury has received the appropriate medical attention, ParTAG suggests the following steps:
1. Discontinue use of the rented Item.
2. Contact the Owner of the Item immediately to inform him or her that you’ve been injured. Follow his or her instructions as to what he or she would like you to do. Typically this means returning the Item to the Owner and ending the rental transaction.
3. Discuss your injuries with the Owner to work out a fair solution. Depending on the nature of your injuries and the circumstances that lead up to your injuries, the Owner may refund you the rental fees and/or reimburse your medical expenses through a Liability Insurance policy.
4. If necessary, read the liability section of the Rental Agreement by and between you and the Owner to understand your rights with respect to your injuries.
1. Try to make contact with the Renter, if you haven’t do so already. Try emailing and calling. Typically the Renter is having a personal problem that is preventing him or her from prioritizing the return of your Item.
2. If you are unable to make contact through email or phone, “Report a problem” through the app (see below), which sends a note to ParTAG and the Renter to contact you. A ParTAG associate will contact you shortly to help facilitate the return of your Item.
3. If you believe the Renter has stolen your item, report the theft to your local Police and keep a copy of the Police Report.
4. If after 3 days of the Renter being delinquent in returning your Item (3 days after the end of the Reservation Rental Period), you may “Report a Problem”, and the ParTAG app will provide you prompts to run a loss/theft charge to the Renter. ParTAG will contact you to request a copy of your Police Report and proof of ownership and value of the Item.
5. If the Renter does not agree with your charge of theft because he or she has returned the item, the Renter may dispute the charge with Stripe and/or his credit card company. If Stripe, the Credit Card company, or the Renter requests copies of the Owner’s policy report, we will provide it.
6. If the Renter returns the item, you can reverse the charge through your Stripe dashboard.
Report a Problem:
1. From the Library Module, select the Item that has not been returned.
2. From the detail page, in the upper right corner is a menu icon; select that to see options including “Report a Problem”
If you are a renter, you will not see any additional sales or use taxes levied on top of the rental fee.
If you are an owner or rental business, ParTAG will not collect taxes from the Renter on your behalf for each transaction. Any applicable taxes that you are responsible to pay to local, state, or federal tax collectors would be considered as a portion of your gross rental sales. We recommend you consult with a tax professional to understand your tax liability.
Beyond that, days are calculated as 24 hour periods, where any time after a 24 hour increment is also treated as an additional day.
For example, a rental with the following reservation parameters:
Start Date: 4/26/18
Start Time: 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
End Date: 4/28/18
End Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Would result in three (3) rental days. The first two days would end at 8:00 – 10:00 AM on 4/28, and the additional hours to get to 6:00 PM would constitute an additional third day.
Per the Terms and Rental Agreement, if you and the Renter agree that the rented Item has been returned with damages beyond wear and tear, you, the Owner, may assess a damage cost of 20% the Replacement Value by submitting photos and descriptions under the Close-Out page, under the header DAMAGES. All damages noted (photographed and described) will aggregate to one damage fee of 20% the Replacement Value.
If you believe that the damages to your property are greater than as to require 20% the Replacement Value to make repairs, or that damages are so great as to warrant a “loss” of the item, you may forego the DAMAGES section and instead, enter charges under the header MANUAL ADJUSTMENTS. Fill in the description field with “Loss” or other description to alert the Renter to your assessment. Manual adjustments and Damages together may not exceed the Replacement Value of the Item. These charges will not be assessed unless the Renter approves them in his/her Updated Rental Agreement.
If you believe that Stripe processing does not explain the reason for No-Show credits in your account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to assist you.
What if my rented item is not as it was advertised?
If for any reason the item you have rented does not work or you are having problems using it, contact the Owner to resolve the issue. We recommend testing the item when you meet with the Owner so any questions or issues can be addressed at that time. ParTAG has not tested the quality of the merchandise and has no control over Owner’s posts. If the issue is not resolved with the Owner, the Rental Agreement states to discontinue use and return the Item immediately to its Owner, to avoid charges for days you were not able to use the Item. The Owner will adjust the duration of the Rental Period upon close out of the Rental Agreement.
How do I make a payment?
What payment methods do you accept?
Do you need a Stripe account in order to rent an item?
When you make a rental reservation, your credit or debit card information is collected and processed by Stripe. Stripe accepts all major credit and debit cards. Once you pick up the item, your card will be charged the total rental fee plus the security deposit. Renters do not need a Stripe account in order to rent an Item.
Yes, there is a refundable security deposit of 20% of the replacement value. Your credit card will show a pending charge for the security deposit at the start of the rental period.
You will receive a confirmation from the Owner of the merchandise in your Notifications inbox, usually within 24 hours. Once the request is confirmed, a pending charge in the amount of the rental fee will be placed on your credit or debit card. At this time, email addresses and phone numbers for both the Renter and the Owner will be provided to one another to facilitate coordination. You must cancel with at least 24 hours notice for a full refund. To view your reservation from the ParTAG app, go to the Reservations module.
How do I make a request to rent an item?
How do I request an item?
How do I make a reservation?
How does this work?
What’s your process?
From your search results in the Public Marketplace, select an individual item you are interested in by clicking on its picture. Click Reserve to fill out a reservation form indicating your dates, time, and location. At this time, you may opt into a Damage Waiver Reimbursement program if you are worried about covering the charges if you damage or lose the item. A credit or debit card is required to hold the reservation but you will not be charged until the reservation is confirmed. Note that once you have submitted a reservation request, your email address will be provided to the Owner of the merchandise for coordination purposes. The Owner will confirm your request and send you a Notification.
This short video shows you how to search and request a reservation.
You can easily search for what you need in the Public Marketplace. Select the ‘Public Marketplace’ icon from the top bar menu or from the sidebar menu. For ultimate convenience, select the ‘Refine Details’ icon to specify search criteria like price, date, and distance.
This short video walks you through searching and requesting a reservation.