FAQ – Renting items on ParTAG
From the viewpoint of the customer/renter
- Simply follow the instructions on your Rental Agreement, which either state for you to return the item to the pick up location, or be present for the Vendor/Owner to pick up the rental. The Vendor/Owner will initiate the app process of closing out the rental transaction.
- Once the Vendor/Owner has finalized any additional charges, you will receive a Final Rental Agreement which you must approve in order for the contract to end. No new charges will be levied on you without your expressed consent through this Final Rental Agreement close out process.
From the viewpoint of the Vendor/Owner, follow these steps to complete the rental transaction and end the agreement.
- Pick up or receive your rental item and make sure every piece/part is accounted for and that there is no damage beyond wear and tear. After closing the contract, you will not get another chance to clear up any claims with the customer through the app.
- Select the Reservation from your Reservation Module. Scroll down to select the button “End Rental”
- See the screenshot below. If everything went well and there are no additional charges, select “Close Out No Changes” and the Rental Agreement will be ended with no additional charges to the Customer/Renter.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement for your approval. Select to approve it.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement to the Customer/Renter which she must approve in order for the contract to end.
- If the rental item was returned late and you would like to assess late fees at the same rate as the per day rental, you may do so by adjusting the dates in the close out form.
- If you must apply delivery, cleaning, or other charges not included in the rental fee, you may add those in the Manual Adjustment field of the close out form.
- If you have assessed damages that you wish to charge the customer/renter for, you have two choices as to how to do that. Follow this link for an in depth explanation.
- Finally, select “Update charges” and the Final Rental Agreement, which contains a final tally of all previous and new charges are displayed to you for your approval. Select to approve these charges.
- The Customer/Renter then receives the same tally and also must approve them in order for charges to be run. Any additional charges are shown against the deposit and any balance of deposit funds are returned back to the Customer/Renter. Once both parties have agreed to the Final Rental Agreement, the contract has ended.
- This Tutorial also describes how to end your rental contract.
My phone is not reading the NFC tags
If you are using the ParTAG app for iOS, currently you will not be able to connect ParTAG NFC stickers to your rentals and will not be able to read ParTAG NFC Stickers as part of the ParTAG platform. We are working with Apple to find a solution on an approved method to access your device’s NFC reader so that iOS users can have the full suite of functions on ParTAG.
Android users are able to pair NFC stickers with rentals and use the stickers as part of the rental process.
If your Android device is not reading the NFC tags, please check the following steps:
1. First ensure that you have switched on NFC capability for your device. Go to Settings>More then slide the button to on/green under the heading NFC.
2. Ensure you are using a ParTAG NFC Sticker. If you are attempting to read other brand NFC tags, you may experience problems.
3. Ensure that you have the latest version of Android running on your device.
4. If problems persist, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be happy to assist you.
If you are attempting to start a rental and hand over the rental item, and the renter received the failure message after accepting the Rental Agreement, and both parties still wish to move forward with the rental, you can cancel the problematic reservation and create a new same-day reservation on the spot:
1. The Owner should cancel the reservation by going into the Reservation Module, select the reservation, and scroll down to select “Cancel”. There is no penalty when the Owner cancels.
2. The Renter can submit another reservation request for today’s date and a time 2 hours ahead.
3. The Owner can approve the reservation and start the rental at any time (even if the reservation is for 2 hours into the future).
4. If you are attempting this process past 4:00 PM local time, ParTAG will not allow the same day reservation request to be made (because normally asking for a same day rental after 4 PM does not give the Owner enough time to fulfill the request). The work around is for both the Owner and Renter to set their device clocks back before 4:00 PM, which will allow the reservation process to proceed.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Be assured that the next upgrade to ParTAG will allow users to update the credit card previously submitted.
If you are attempting to cancel a reservation and you receive a failure message, you can contact the Owner by text, email, or phone, to cancel the reservation for you.
My list of reservations isn’t refreshing.
My notifications aren’t refreshing.
We’re sorry you are experiencing some difficulty. Normally, ParTAG functions and displays should automatically refresh after an action has taken place. If you don’t see what you think you should see because the display hasn’t freshed, simply swipe down on the app, long enough to see the progress timer signal that the app is downloading the updated data. If the problem persists, please send us a note at email@example.com. Thanks for your patience.
– Model name and year
– Dimensions, colors, and physical attributes
– Peripheral or auxiliary items that come with your rentable
– Any additional fees, such as delivery, cleaning, set-up, etc.
Watch this video for a quick tutorial on what steps to take when you drop off your rentable, or when the Renter arrives to pick it up.
1. Go to the Reservations Module and select the particular reservation you wish to start. Scroll to the bottom to select “Start Rental Now”
2. You will receive a binding Rental Agreement between you and the Renter. Agree to the terms and provide the Renter with any additional requirements in writing at this time if the Rental Agreement template does not meet your needs. The Renter will receive his own version of the Rental Agreement to approve, which will be sent to his Notifications inbox.
3. Once both parties have agreed to the Terms, the Rental Period (Rental Transaction) has begun. Both the Renter and Owner should see the item in their respective Libraries.
You’re all set. The Renter can now enjoy the item!
Watch the short video below to see what to do when the Renter returns the item.
ParTAG cannot provide business advice, so we recommend that you consult with a professional. If you are an individual and intend to earn revenue from renting out your personal property on ParTAG, you can accept payments through Stripe and would be considered a sole proprietor business. You can fill out the Stripe new account form under the “sole proprietor” designation. When prompted for a business website, Stripe allows you to input any of your social media accounts, such as facebook, instagram, or pinterest. All other information Stripe requires, such as name, mailing address, etc, must match the information corresponding to the bank accounts linked to receive payment.
I wasn’t able to create a reservation request. The error pop up stated that I need to verify my phone number.
ParTAG requires that members have a verified phone number on file, for safety and security purposes. You can verify your phone number by going to Settings> Account and selecting your phone number. You will be prompted to verify if with an OTP code that will be sent to your phone. After your phone number is verified, you should see the “verified” checked shield icon by this parameter.
If you don’t find it there, it may be because you did not qualify to receive the promo code. Either one of the following may not have happened:
– You did not agree to send the invitation to your Contacts AND to post on Facebook
– You did not select at least 10 Contacts to whom to send the invitation
If you still believe you have qualified for the promo code, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.
If you don’t see it there, please contact us at email@example.com, and we will be happy to assist you.
What is the “Detect NFC” in my sidebar menu?
What is the “Connect Item with NFC Sticker” what I add an item to my Library?
NFC is a type of communication protocol (like RFID, Bluetooth), which stands for Near Field Communication. NFC is a subset of radio-frequency communication (RFID) in the high frequency register, approximately 13.56 MHz . Most Android devices and now the iPhone 8 device are NFC compatible, which means they can communicate under these protocols with other devices and hardware that support NFC. NFC communication occurs at close range (hence “near”), which means the reading device can read the NFC tag (in this case your ParTAG Sticker) at a distance of about 30 mm. NFC tags can be used as smart barcodes, where information or the path to information about an item is stored on the NFC tag (sticker) and the reading device (your phone) does not need to have a line of sight to the tag. Your reading device can simply tap the tag or be within range. You can read more about NFC here.
ParTAG supports NFC for inventory management. Purchase ParTAG NFC Stickers, affix them to your inventory of rentables, and use them to call up the item details on your app and initiate mapping and communication functions. When you upload a new item to your Library, when submitting details about the item, slide the button right (to green) for the detail “Connect Item with NFC Sticker.” You will be prompted to tap your phone to the ParTAG NFC Sticker. Place that ParTAG Sticker on your Item.
For iPhone users, your device will not automatically read an NFC sticker it comes into contact with. You must prompt your device to read a nearby sticker by using the ParTAG sidebar menu’s “Detect NFC”. Android devices will automatically read an NFC Sticker that is tapped if the NFC function is turned on in the Settings of the Android device.
You don’t need ParTAG NFC Stickers to use ParTAG. They are a fun and convenient business tool, but you can still find and rent things on ParTAG app without them. However, ParTAG’s function which helps Owners locate lost items can only be completed with ParTAG NFC Stickers.
Owners of Items can follow these steps:
1. From the Library module, select the item you’d like to lend out
2. From the item detail page, select the menu in the top right corner. Select “Lend Out” from this menu
3. On the subsequent “Share” page, provide name of the ParTAG member you’d like to share you item with, and select “share”
4. Confirm that the information has been processed when you see the Item status change from “In Library” to “Shared with [Borrower]” in your Library Module
5. Deliver the Item and confirm with the Borrower that he or she sees the Item listed in his or her Library Module on the ParTAG app.
6. Use the Instant Message icon to text the Borrower when it is time to return your Item
7. Return the Item back to your Library by selecting “Return to Library” from the top right menu on the Item’s detail page.
Assuming the incident has passed and the injury has received the appropriate medical attention, ParTAG suggests the following steps:
1. Discontinue use of the rented Item.
2. Contact the Owner of the Item immediately to inform him or her that you’ve been injured. Follow his or her instructions as to what he or she would like you to do. Typically this means returning the Item to the Owner and ending the rental transaction.
3. Discuss your injuries with the Owner to work out a fair solution. Depending on the nature of your injuries and the circumstances that lead up to your injuries, the Owner may refund you the rental fees and/or reimburse your medical expenses through a Liability Insurance policy.
4. If necessary, read the liability section of the Rental Agreement by and between you and the Owner to understand your rights with respect to your injuries.
1. Try to make contact with the Renter, if you haven’t do so already. Try emailing and calling. Typically the Renter is having a personal problem that is preventing him or her from prioritizing the return of your Item.
2. If you are unable to make contact through email or phone, “Report a problem” through the app (see below), which sends a note to ParTAG and the Renter to contact you. A ParTAG associate will contact you shortly to help facilitate the return of your Item.
3. If you believe the Renter has stolen your item, report the theft to your local Police and keep a copy of the Police Report.
4. If after 3 days of the Renter being delinquent in returning your Item (3 days after the end of the Reservation Rental Period), you may “Report a Problem”, and the ParTAG app will provide you prompts to run a loss/theft charge to the Renter. ParTAG will contact you to request a copy of your Police Report and proof of ownership and value of the Item.
5. If the Renter does not agree with your charge of theft because he or she has returned the item, the Renter may dispute the charge with Stripe and/or his credit card company. If Stripe, the Credit Card company, or the Renter requests copies of the Owner’s policy report, we will provide it.
6. If the Renter returns the item, you can reverse the charge through your Stripe dashboard.
Report a Problem:
1. From the Library Module, select the Item that has not been returned.
2. From the detail page, in the upper right corner is a menu icon; select that to see options including “Report a Problem”
Since ParTAG is not a party to the binding Rental Agreement between the Renter and the Owner, ParTAG does not have jurisdiction to intervene directly in disputes, except to revoke account privileges. ParTAG cannot change the liability of any Owner or Renter with respect to charges, damages, or bodily injury. ParTAG provides an open platform for users to connect regarding rental transactions. It has no control over the accuracy of posts, the safety and functionality of items posted for rent, and has no control over Renters’ actions with regard to damage or loss. With regard to charges, Owners may refund Renters through their Stripe dashboard, and any disputes regarding charges may be taken to Stripe directly. However, keep in mind, that all charges to Renters are carried out (except for charges for unreturned rentals) with the approval of the Renter. Stripe may inquire to ParTAG if the Renter approved a particular charge, and ParTAG will respond affirmatively.
ParTAG does not give out your private information (such as name, phone, address, email address) to third parties and only shares this information within the framework of the rental transactions ParTAG facilitates, by industry standard processes. Anything you post, including your photo, pictures and descriptions of your rentable items, and any pick up locations are visible to the public if you have posted them publicly. Upon submitting a request to reserve a rentable Item, your email address and phone number are made available to the Rental Business or Owner to facilitate coordination of the transaction. Upon approval by the Owner of the rental reservation, both parties have access to email addresses and phone numbers. And finally, when the rental items are picked up or dropped off at the rental venue or the business’ pick up location, full name and mailing addresses are provided to both the Renter and Owner.
Private financial information such as credit cards or social security numbers are collected by Stripe for payment processing and are not stored by ParTAG.
Other information such as search queries and the types of items being rented or posted may from time to time be shared with third parties. This information is gathered anonymously and is never associated with any particular account.
Generally, rental of personal property qualifies for use taxes by the State. The exact percentage of tax may depend on the county in which the transaction took place. Use or sales taxes are NOT collected additionally to the rental fees levied to the Renter. Any rental income you receive will likely be subject to use taxes by the State annually.
If you are a renter, you will not see any additional sales or use taxes levied on top of the rental fee.
If you are an owner or rental business, ParTAG will not collect taxes from the Renter on your behalf for each transaction. Any applicable taxes that you are responsible to pay to local, state, or federal tax collectors would be considered as a portion of your gross rental sales. We recommend you consult with a tax professional to understand your tax liability.
Are the members vetted?
Is it safe to rent on ParTAG?
Is it safe to rent my stuff out on ParTAG?
We endeavor to create a safe environment for our users. With an online platform, we employ methods to safeguard members that are industry standard and beyond:
- ParTAG on-boards members by requesting verification of their email addresses and phone numbers. We reserve the right to run a background check, per our Terms, but do not do this as a typical part of membership approval. Higher levels of member investigation on pursued when a member has given us cause to do so by his or her activity on the Platform, such as violating our Terms.
- Any member who wishes to participate in a rental transaction as an owner of an item must connect his or her Stripe account to the ParTAG system, so that rental revenue can be credited to his or her bank account. Stripe, ParTAG’s payment processing service provider, on-board’s members by verifying full names, addresses, social security numbers, and bank accounts.
- Renters in a rental transaction supply a debit card or credit card as a form of payment to hold the reservation and subsequently pay the rental fees. Stripe verifies the credit card number, expiration, CVC, billing address, and verifies that the card is valid to accept charges before any rental merchandise changes hands.
- The renter and owner are bound to the rental transaction through a mutually approved Rental Agreement that is legally enforceable.
- Throughout the reservation and rental transaction process, ParTAG reveals contact information in stages to both the renter and the owner, whereby the final Rental Agreement includes full names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. Reciprocal receipt of this information is intended to engender trust in both parties and to endeavor to prevent transactions from occurring anonymously.
- We offer an item and member rating system, where renters can view individual average star ratings for the item and its owner, and read reviews on the item. If at any point someone has rented an item that was not as it was advertised, the star rating and reviews should reveal this.
- And in return, owners of items can view the star rating of a potential renter who is requesting a reservation, and determine if the star rating represents an adequate history of good behavior, like returning items on time and without damage.
The ParTAG platform includes a social media component, and like all social media, users should proceed with caution if you do not know personally with whom you are dealing.
Is it free to create an account?
Is it free to post items?
What fees do you charge?
Yes, it is free to download our app, create an account and list items for rent (post) or search for items to rent.
We charge a simple 15% commission fee on the rental cost when a transaction is completed, which is charged to the Owner of the merchandise. There are no fees charged to the Renter.
Per the Terms and Rental Agreement, if you and the Renter agree that the rented Item has been returned with damages beyond wear and tear, you, the Owner, may assess a damage cost of 20% the Replacement Value by submitting photos and descriptions under the Close-Out page, under the header DAMAGES. All damages noted (photographed and described) will aggregate to one damage fee of 20% the Replacement Value.
If you believe that the damages to your property are greater than as to require 20% the Replacement Value to make repairs, or that damages are so great as to warrant a “loss” of the item, you may forego the DAMAGES section and instead, enter charges under the header MANUAL ADJUSTMENTS. Fill in the description field with “Loss” or other description to alert the Renter to your assessment. Manual adjustments and Damages together may not exceed the Replacement Value of the Item. These charges will not be assessed unless the Renter approves them in his/her Updated Rental Agreement.
You can easily search for what you need in the Public Marketplace. Select the ‘Public Marketplace’ icon from the top bar menu or from the sidebar menu. For ultimate convenience, select the ‘Refine Details’ icon to specify search criteria like price, date, and distance.
This short video walks you through searching and requesting a reservation.
How do I make a payment?
What payment methods do you accept?
Do you need a Stripe account in order to rent an item?
When you make a rental reservation, your credit or debit card information is collected and processed by Stripe. Stripe accepts all major credit and debit cards. Once you pick up the item, your card will be charged the total rental fee plus the security deposit. Renters do not need a Stripe account in order to rent an Item.
What if my rented item doesn’t work?
What if my rented item is not as it was advertised?
If for any reason the item you have rented does not work or you are having problems using it, contact the Owner to resolve the issue. We recommend testing the item when you meet with the Owner so any questions or issues can be addressed at that time. ParTAG has not tested the quality of the merchandise and has no control over Owner’s posts. If the issue is not resolved with the Owner, the Rental Agreement states to discontinue use and return the Item immediately to its Owner, to avoid charges for days you were not able to use the Item. The Owner will adjust the duration of the Rental Period upon close out of the Rental Agreement.
If you, as the Owner, approved the reservation, and the Renter did not show up to pick up the item or did not show up at the drop off location, you are entitled to No-Show charges of 20% of the total Rental Fee less ParTAG’s Commission Fee. You may assess these charges at your discretion by cancelling the approved reservation through the app the day after the start date of the reservation. Select ‘Cancel’ and you will be prompted whether or not to charge No-Show fees. If you select ‘Ok’, fees will be levied and credited to your account. If you select ‘Cancel’, the reservation will be cancelled without charging the Renter.
If you believe that Stripe processing does not explain the reason for No-Show credits in your account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to assist you.
Yes, there is a refundable security deposit of 20% of the replacement value. Your credit card will show a pending charge for the security deposit at the start of the rental period.
You may cancel a reservation with at least 24 hours notice for a full refund. If you cancel with less than 24 hours, you will be charged a 20% inconvenience/no-show fee by the Owner. To cancel, select the reservation in the Reservation module and select Cancel Reservation at the bottom.
We are your one-stop rental solution to finding party and creative hobby gear. For party items, you can find things like inflatable bouncy houses, linens, tables, chairs, photo cutouts or backdrops, serveware, chocolate fountains, fondue sets and more! For creative hobby gear, easily search and find items like cameras, camera lenses, tripods, video cameras, floor speakers, dj equipment (turntables, headphones, laptop) and video game consoles, games and accessories. However, almost anything is rentable on ParTAG, like designer clothes and accessories, summer and winter sporting gear, and family and children’s item. The best way to find what you need is to search our Public Marketplace. There’s also a list of items that aren’t allowed to be rented on ParTAG.
How do I make a request to rent an item?
How do I request an item?
How do I make a reservation?
How does this work?
What’s your process?
From your search results in the Public Marketplace, select an individual item you are interested in by clicking on its picture. Click Reserve to fill out a reservation form indicating your dates, time, and location. At this time, you may opt into a Damage Waiver Reimbursement program if you are worried about covering the charges if you damage or lose the item. A credit or debit card is required to hold the reservation but you will not be charged until the reservation is confirmed. Note that once you have submitted a reservation request, your email address will be provided to the Owner of the merchandise for coordination purposes. The Owner will confirm your request and send you a Notification.
This short video shows you how to search and request a reservation.
You will receive a confirmation from the Owner of the merchandise in your Notifications inbox, usually within 24 hours. Once the request is confirmed, a pending charge in the amount of the rental fee will be placed on your credit or debit card. At this time, email addresses and phone numbers for both the Renter and the Owner will be provided to one another to facilitate coordination. You must cancel with at least 24 hours notice for a full refund. To view your reservation from the ParTAG app, go to the Reservations module.
How do I arrange the item for pick-up and return?
How will I receive the item I reserved?
Are the items delivered?
Is there a delivery fee?
For each item, its Owner has designated how the item will be transmitted, as Pick Up (picked up by you) or Drop Off (delivered to you). This preference is indicated on the item details page and also on the reservation form. On the reservation form, you will provide a time range within which the item will either be dropped off at your stated location, or picked up by you at the Owner’s location. You and the Owner may decide outside of the ParTAG app to agree on a different drop off or pick up time. We do not recommend changing the location as the location is part of the Rental Agreement by and between the Renter and the item’s Owner. To receive your item, meet the the Owner per the Item’s delivery preference as shown on your Approved Reservation. Make sure to review the item and speak with the Owner about any concerns you might have. After the rental period is complete, return the item consistent with how it was transmitted to you (pick up or drop off), per your Rental Agreement instructions. Wait for a Notification from ParTAG to confirm the item has been recorded in the ParTAG platform as having been received back to its Owner.. Any required security deposit charges will be reversed at this time. You may view a receipt of the transaction in your Reservations bin.