FAQ – Renting items on ParTAG
From the viewpoint of the customer/renter
- Simply follow the instructions on your Rental Agreement, which either state for you to return the item to the pick up location, or be present for the Vendor/Owner to pick up the rental. The Vendor/Owner will initiate the app process of closing out the rental transaction.
- Once the Vendor/Owner has finalized any additional charges, you will receive a Final Rental Agreement which you must approve in order for the contract to end. No new charges will be levied on you without your expressed consent through this Final Rental Agreement close out process.
From the viewpoint of the Vendor/Owner, follow these steps to complete the rental transaction and end the agreement.
- Pick up or receive your rental item and make sure every piece/part is accounted for and that there is no damage beyond wear and tear. After closing the contract, you will not get another chance to clear up any claims with the customer through the app.
- Select the Reservation from your Reservation Module. Scroll down to select the button “End Rental”
- See the screenshot below. If everything went well and there are no additional charges, select “Close Out No Changes” and the Rental Agreement will be ended with no additional charges to the Customer/Renter.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement for your approval. Select to approve it.
- The app will display the final Rental Agreement to the Customer/Renter which she must approve in order for the contract to end.
- If the rental item was returned late and you would like to assess late fees at the same rate as the per day rental, you may do so by adjusting the dates in the close out form.
- If you must apply delivery, cleaning, or other charges not included in the rental fee, you may add those in the Manual Adjustment field of the close out form.
- If you have assessed damages that you wish to charge the customer/renter for, you have two choices as to how to do that. Follow this link for an in depth explanation.
- Finally, select “Update charges” and the Final Rental Agreement, which contains a final tally of all previous and new charges are displayed to you for your approval. Select to approve these charges.
- The Customer/Renter then receives the same tally and also must approve them in order for charges to be run. Any additional charges are shown against the deposit and any balance of deposit funds are returned back to the Customer/Renter. Once both parties have agreed to the Final Rental Agreement, the contract has ended.
- This Tutorial also describes how to end your rental contract.
The purchase price and model year are required for every public post of a rental item. You must provide a value that is non-zero. The customer/renter does not see “Purchase Price” and is never under the assumption that there is an option to purchase the rental items. These two pieces of information are used by the platform in the following ways:
- The Purchase Price and Model Year together establish the rental’s Replacement Value (see separate FAQ about how this is calculated). Once the Replacement Value is calculated, the Customer/Renter sees this value when she fills out the rental reservation form and in the Rental Agreement (see screenshot below, and “Replacement Value” beneath the item name). By acknowledging this value, she agrees that while the rental item is in her possession, she is liable for the full Replacement Value in a worst case scenario. But she also understands that this is her maximum liability, and no more.
- The Replacement Value is used to establish the refundable deposit which is charged to the customer/renter at the start of the rental period. The pending charge is 20% of the Replacement Value, which serves to hold the credit card open in case future charges of damages or loss need to be made. The pending refundable deposit is cancelled once the item is returned and the Owner/Vendor closes out the rental transaction.
– Model name and year
– Dimensions, colors, and physical attributes
– Peripheral or auxiliary items that come with your rentable
– Any additional fees, such as delivery, cleaning, set-up, etc.
Watch this video for a quick tutorial on what steps to take when you drop off your rentable, or when the Renter arrives to pick it up.
1. Go to the Reservations Module and select the particular reservation you wish to start. Scroll to the bottom to select “Start Rental Now”
2. You will receive a binding Rental Agreement between you and the Renter. Agree to the terms and provide the Renter with any additional requirements in writing at this time if the Rental Agreement template does not meet your needs. The Renter will receive his own version of the Rental Agreement to approve, which will be sent to his Notifications inbox.
3. Once both parties have agreed to the Terms, the Rental Period (Rental Transaction) has begun. Both the Renter and Owner should see the item in their respective Libraries.
You’re all set. The Renter can now enjoy the item!
Watch the short video below to see what to do when the Renter returns the item.
ParTAG cannot provide business advice, so we recommend that you consult with a professional. If you are an individual and intend to earn revenue from renting out your personal property on ParTAG, you can accept payments through Stripe and would be considered a sole proprietor business. You can fill out the Stripe new account form under the “sole proprietor” designation. When prompted for a business website, Stripe allows you to input any of your social media accounts, such as facebook, instagram, or pinterest. All other information Stripe requires, such as name, mailing address, etc, must match the information corresponding to the bank accounts linked to receive payment.
1. Try to make contact with the Renter, if you haven’t do so already. Try emailing and calling. Typically the Renter is having a personal problem that is preventing him or her from prioritizing the return of your Item.
2. If you are unable to make contact through email or phone, “Report a problem” through the app (see below), which sends a note to ParTAG and the Renter to contact you. A ParTAG associate will contact you shortly to help facilitate the return of your Item.
3. If you believe the Renter has stolen your item, report the theft to your local Police and keep a copy of the Police Report.
4. If after 3 days of the Renter being delinquent in returning your Item (3 days after the end of the Reservation Rental Period), you may “Report a Problem”, and the ParTAG app will provide you prompts to run a loss/theft charge to the Renter. ParTAG will contact you to request a copy of your Police Report and proof of ownership and value of the Item.
5. If the Renter does not agree with your charge of theft because he or she has returned the item, the Renter may dispute the charge with Stripe and/or his credit card company. If Stripe, the Credit Card company, or the Renter requests copies of the Owner’s policy report, we will provide it.
6. If the Renter returns the item, you can reverse the charge through your Stripe dashboard.
Report a Problem:
1. From the Library Module, select the Item that has not been returned.
2. From the detail page, in the upper right corner is a menu icon; select that to see options including “Report a Problem”
If you believe that your Item’s replacement value should be calculated differently, you have the opportunity to request a different replacement value when you upload the item to the platform. You will receive a pop up box where you can report a different replacement value. ParTAG will be alerted to your request and will contact you about your item and its value.
Generally, rental of personal property qualifies for use taxes by the State. The exact percentage of tax may depend on the county in which the transaction took place. Use or sales taxes are NOT collected additionally to the rental fees levied to the Renter. Any rental income you receive will likely be subject to use taxes by the State annually.
If you are a renter, you will not see any additional sales or use taxes levied on top of the rental fee.
If you are an owner or rental business, ParTAG will not collect taxes from the Renter on your behalf for each transaction. Any applicable taxes that you are responsible to pay to local, state, or federal tax collectors would be considered as a portion of your gross rental sales. We recommend you consult with a tax professional to understand your tax liability.
How can I edit my listing?
How do I view or change the details of my item, like its name, description, and rental price?
To edit your listing, go to your Library and select the Item to view its details. From this screen, select any of the details to edit them.
How do I rent out my stuff?
How do I add more photos to my post?
Do I need a Stripe account to post items?
Watch this short tutorial for how to post items for rent on ParTAG
The first step to renting out your items is to add the Item to your Library.
- From the Library module, select the ‘Add’ icon to add the Item to your Library. ParTAG will direct you to snap a photo and then ask for some details. You can add more photos after the Item is inside your Library by selecting to view the Item details and selecting the camera icon by the photo.
- If your item is Private, you can skip filling in all the requested details.
- If you’d like your Item to be searchable in the Public Marketplace, then select ‘Public’. If you select Public, you will need to provide some minimum details, such as an Item name, rental price, purchase price, and model year. For best search results, provide a good name, description, and search tags so people can find your Item easily.
- Select how you’d like the items to change hands: by pick up or delivery. If you leave this blank, ParTAG defaults this preference to delivery to the Renter.
- Review these details and add more photos by selecting the Item in your Library module. To change any of these details, simply select the detail you want to change.
- Finally, before you can actually complete a rental transaction on ParTAG, you will need to connect your Stripe account to the ParTAG Platform. Stripe then connects rental payments to your bank account. Connect your Stripe account to ParTAG through Settings, Stripe Merchant Dashboard (find Settings in the Sidebar menu). If you do not have a Stripe account, you can sign up for one at www.stripe.com.
Per the Terms and Rental Agreement, if you and the Renter agree that the rented Item has been returned with damages beyond wear and tear, you, the Owner, may assess a damage cost of 20% the Replacement Value by submitting photos and descriptions under the Close-Out page, under the header DAMAGES. All damages noted (photographed and described) will aggregate to one damage fee of 20% the Replacement Value.
If you believe that the damages to your property are greater than as to require 20% the Replacement Value to make repairs, or that damages are so great as to warrant a “loss” of the item, you may forego the DAMAGES section and instead, enter charges under the header MANUAL ADJUSTMENTS. Fill in the description field with “Loss” or other description to alert the Renter to your assessment. Manual adjustments and Damages together may not exceed the Replacement Value of the Item. These charges will not be assessed unless the Renter approves them in his/her Updated Rental Agreement.
You can easily search for what you need in the Public Marketplace. Select the ‘Public Marketplace’ icon from the top bar menu or from the sidebar menu. For ultimate convenience, select the ‘Refine Details’ icon to specify search criteria like price, date, and distance.
This short video walks you through searching and requesting a reservation.
How do I make a payment?
What payment methods do you accept?
Do you need a Stripe account in order to rent an item?
When you make a rental reservation, your credit or debit card information is collected and processed by Stripe. Stripe accepts all major credit and debit cards. Once you pick up the item, your card will be charged the total rental fee plus the security deposit. Renters do not need a Stripe account in order to rent an Item.
What if my rented item doesn’t work?
What if my rented item is not as it was advertised?
If for any reason the item you have rented does not work or you are having problems using it, contact the Owner to resolve the issue. We recommend testing the item when you meet with the Owner so any questions or issues can be addressed at that time. ParTAG has not tested the quality of the merchandise and has no control over Owner’s posts. If the issue is not resolved with the Owner, the Rental Agreement states to discontinue use and return the Item immediately to its Owner, to avoid charges for days you were not able to use the Item. The Owner will adjust the duration of the Rental Period upon close out of the Rental Agreement.
If you, as the Owner, approved the reservation, and the Renter did not show up to pick up the item or did not show up at the drop off location, you are entitled to No-Show charges of 20% of the total Rental Fee less ParTAG’s Commission Fee. You may assess these charges at your discretion by cancelling the approved reservation through the app the day after the start date of the reservation. Select ‘Cancel’ and you will be prompted whether or not to charge No-Show fees. If you select ‘Ok’, fees will be levied and credited to your account. If you select ‘Cancel’, the reservation will be cancelled without charging the Renter.
If you believe that Stripe processing does not explain the reason for No-Show credits in your account, please contact us at email@example.com and we would be happy to assist you.
Yes, there is a refundable security deposit of 20% of the replacement value. Your credit card will show a pending charge for the security deposit at the start of the rental period.
You may cancel a reservation with at least 24 hours notice for a full refund. If you cancel with less than 24 hours, you will be charged a 20% inconvenience/no-show fee by the Owner. To cancel, select the reservation in the Reservation module and select Cancel Reservation at the bottom.
We are your one-stop rental solution to finding party and creative hobby gear. For party items, you can find things like inflatable bouncy houses, linens, tables, chairs, photo cutouts or backdrops, serveware, chocolate fountains, fondue sets and more! For creative hobby gear, easily search and find items like cameras, camera lenses, tripods, video cameras, floor speakers, dj equipment (turntables, headphones, laptop) and video game consoles, games and accessories. However, almost anything is rentable on ParTAG, like designer clothes and accessories, summer and winter sporting gear, and family and children’s item. The best way to find what you need is to search our Public Marketplace. There’s also a list of items that aren’t allowed to be rented on ParTAG.
How do I make a request to rent an item?
How do I request an item?
How do I make a reservation?
How does this work?
What’s your process?
From your search results in the Public Marketplace, select an individual item you are interested in by clicking on its picture. Click Reserve to fill out a reservation form indicating your dates, time, and location. At this time, you may opt into a Damage Waiver Reimbursement program if you are worried about covering the charges if you damage or lose the item. A credit or debit card is required to hold the reservation but you will not be charged until the reservation is confirmed. Note that once you have submitted a reservation request, your email address will be provided to the Owner of the merchandise for coordination purposes. The Owner will confirm your request and send you a Notification.
This short video shows you how to search and request a reservation.
You will receive a confirmation from the Owner of the merchandise in your Notifications inbox, usually within 24 hours. Once the request is confirmed, a pending charge in the amount of the rental fee will be placed on your credit or debit card. At this time, email addresses and phone numbers for both the Renter and the Owner will be provided to one another to facilitate coordination. You must cancel with at least 24 hours notice for a full refund. To view your reservation from the ParTAG app, go to the Reservations module.
How do I arrange the item for pick-up and return?
How will I receive the item I reserved?
Are the items delivered?
Is there a delivery fee?
For each item, its Owner has designated how the item will be transmitted, as Pick Up (picked up by you) or Drop Off (delivered to you). This preference is indicated on the item details page and also on the reservation form. On the reservation form, you will provide a time range within which the item will either be dropped off at your stated location, or picked up by you at the Owner’s location. You and the Owner may decide outside of the ParTAG app to agree on a different drop off or pick up time. We do not recommend changing the location as the location is part of the Rental Agreement by and between the Renter and the item’s Owner. To receive your item, meet the the Owner per the Item’s delivery preference as shown on your Approved Reservation. Make sure to review the item and speak with the Owner about any concerns you might have. After the rental period is complete, return the item consistent with how it was transmitted to you (pick up or drop off), per your Rental Agreement instructions. Wait for a Notification from ParTAG to confirm the item has been recorded in the ParTAG platform as having been received back to its Owner.. Any required security deposit charges will be reversed at this time. You may view a receipt of the transaction in your Reservations bin.